My enjoyment of caring for children started for me as part of playing and coaching soccer. I played soccer growing up in West Des Moines and continued playing and coaching through college. I was inspired by my coaches to be the best me I could be, both on and off the soccer field. That developed in me a strong desire to be that inspiring force for children in caring for their oral health and being the healthiest person they can be.
My biggest excitement as a pediatric dentist comes from seeing a child realize that having their teeth fixed or cleaned is not a scary thing, and that in fact they want to be there being taken care of! I remember in dental school, when I started treating children, how natural it felt to me and how much I enjoyed knowing as much as I could about taking the best care of my young patients.
I like to have fun with my young patients. Among other things, singing to my patients while I care for their teeth, listening to their stories, and laughing with them are highlights of my day.
I grew up in West Des Moines and attended Valley High School. I grew up playing soccer here and went on to play varsity soccer at Bowling Green State University in Ohio.
While getting my education, I have continued to follow up my love of soccer — both playing and coaching. I enjoy baking and spending time with my husband David. I have been out of the Des Moines area following my dream of becoming a pediatric dentist and gaining special experience in pediatrics practicing in the Boston area and in Phoenix, Arizona. I am so excited to be coming back to the Des Moines area to work with Dr. Bob Wade and his team.
Education and Continuing Education
- Bachelor of Science, dean’s list – Bowling Green State University
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery – University of Iowa
- Certificate in advanced dental general practice – Alpert Medical School, Brown University
- Certificate of specialty in pediatric dentistry – Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston University
- Certified by the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry
- Craniofacial Team Clinic Member, treatment planning for children with head and face deformities
- Pediatric dentistry summer internship program, University of Iowa College of Dentistry
- Student athlete dental screening program, University of Iowa College of Dentistry
- Iowa Mission of Mercy: providing dental care to patients in need and unable to afford dental care
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Women in Dentistry
- Iowa City Kickers Soccer Team, player and captain
- Bowling Green University Varsity Women’s Soccer
- Mid America Conference Champions, 2004, 2005
- Mid America Conference Academic Team, 2004, 2005
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Leader, Bowling Green State University
- City of Bowling Green Community Soccer, co-head coach